Living in the city of Niagara Falls means that Panoramic Properties residents are acutely aware of the power of the Niagara River. Life in the city is always connected to the falls and the river itself. While the falls are gorgeous, they can be frustrating to visit in the midst of tourist season. To avoid this trap, we’ve done the planning for you, and our blog today will feature ways to make the most of the Niagara River and engage with the outdoors.
Niagara Parks exists to preserve and enhance the beauty of the lands close to the Niagara River. The Niagara River Recreation Trail is a 50 km network of mixed used trails, including 15 km of hiking trails maintained by the Niagara Parks Commission (NPC). The trail is a scenic 2.5 metre (8 foot) wide paved trail which runs parallel to the Niagara River from Fort Erie in the south to Fort George in the north.
You don’t need to be a superstar athlete to make use of the trails. Instead, strap on a pair of your best hiking boots or shoes and get out into nature. The network of trails also welcomes birdwatchers, Nordic Walking (urban poling), runners and nature walkers alike.
Before getting out on the trails and visiting the river, it’s important to consider the rules and regulations of ‘Leave No Trace Canada.’ NPC are members of this outdoor ethics organization that encourages park visitors to ‘take only photos’ and ‘leave only footprints’. Trail maps can be downloaded online to assist in planning a route to visit the Niagara River and beyond. For more information about hiking Niagara Parks, be aware of these applicable Trail Guides and Parks Regulations:
· Avoid food packaging and keep waste to a minimum.
· Dispose of waste properly.
· Pack it in, pack it out. Whatever you take into the Park with you, be sure to take it out when you leave.
· Respect Wildlife: Observe wildlife from a distance. Do not follow or approach them.
· Never feed animals. Feeding wildlife damages their health, alters natural behaviours and exposes them to predators and other dangers.
· Let nature’s sound prevail. Avoid loud voices and noises.
Biking Along the Niagara River
Bike rentals are available for rides along the Niagara River. As mentioned above, trails are paved and feature gorgeous scenery. This is an excellent option for first-time riders wanting to take on an accessible but fun challenge. Check out Mac’s Bikes Rentals & Tours for more information. Of course, you can bring your own bike too!
Here are a few more of our favourite trails, spots and activities around the Niagara River:
· Dufferin Islands: A ten-acre park that contains several small islands connected by bridges and footpaths.
· Botanical Gardens: 40 acres of beautiful gardens and trails. The gardens also have daily guided horse and carriage tours available during the summer into the fall.
· Queenston Heights: This Park on the Niagara escarpment is an awesome spot for a picnic and a hike.
Residents looking for an apartment for rent in Niagara Falls will love renting at Panoramic Properties apartment communities. Our attractive apartment rental property on Weinbrenner Road backs onto Legends of the Green golf course. Our bachelor, 1, 2 and 3 bedroom suites are beautifully upgraded with ceramic, tile and laminate flooring, newer appliances as well as individual heat controls to give you freedom with all-inclusive rents. Contact Panoramic Properties to learn more about making this comfortable community close to the Niagara River into your home.